Chieveley is a village of 1481 people (2001 census) and 508 households, approximately 4 miles to the North of Newbury in Berkshire, England. A map of 1877 stated the area at the time to be 5328.189 acres. Roughly. Although famed for the opulence and fine lavatories of Chieveley Service Station (it was on the Internet, so must be true!), there is something beyond Junction 13 of the M4 for those who leave the steaming frustration of their cars.
The Downland was much fought-over in the Civil war. A knight left his standard in a pub to the west of the village, whence its name "The Blue Boar". In recent years it has been a successful hotel and changed to "The Crab". One can only conjecture who left what to cause the change of name.
The landscape is of gently rolling chalk hills. The land is predominantly arable with some dairy, sheep and pigs. There is a healthy quantity of woodland and abundant wildlife. There is a network of green-lanes and foot-paths that afford good walking when not chewed to pulp by 4x4's and bikers scrambling for lost youth and purpose.
The Parish consists of the villages of Chieveley and Curridge and settlements of Downend, Oare and Snelsmore Common. A map of the parish is included within this site. The structure has been much affected by roads. The M4 passes East-West through the middle of the parish and has done much to cut Curridge and Oare from Chieveley. This was opened in 1971. The A34 running North-South quarters the parish. Its path has moved several times, the most recent development being a change to Junction 13 that opened in Autumn 2004.
The landscape is dominated by farming. There are currently three working farms in the parish. Curridge has a large deciduous wooded area. Other industries include the School of Military Survey, a garden centre, land-fill site, hotels, a fine baker and many small businesses.
Within the community there is an active social life and as with many villages, life behind closed doors.